|Site:||Turun yliopiston Moodle|
|Course:||Turun yliopiston Moodle|
|Date:||Saturday, 29 February 2020, 1:08 PM|
Table of contents
1. About Moodle
These general instructions (table of contents ->) are made for students and teaching personnel using Moodle of University of Turku (moodle.utu.fi).
"Moodle is a Course Management System (CMS), also known as a Learning Management System (LMS) or a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). It is a Free web application that educators can use to create effective online learning sites." [https://moodle.org/]
Moodle instructions elsewhere
Student FAQ from Moodle community's MoodleDocs
2. Browser requirements
Moodle works with modern web browsers but we suggest that you use Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers.
Moodle requires support for cookies in your web browser. Cookies are a feature of a web browser and sometimes due to strict security reasons sites are not allowed to set cookies. Usually this is easy to fix. Here are instructions for Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Mozilla Firefox 4 or newer
- Tools -> Options, Privacy tab
- Firefox will [Remember history] or [Use custom settings for history]
- [v] Accept Cookies from sites
- Accept third-party cookies [always]
- Keep until [they expire]
* [v] = mark check box
* [text in square bracket] = select from the list
Internet Explorer 8.0 or newer
- Tools-> Internet Options
- Privacy tab
- Click Sites button
- Write to Address of website moodle2.utu.fi and click Allow Click Ok
- Click Ok
These security settings have to be on to make possible logon to Moodle. If these settings are not correct Single Sign-on system will deny logon reguest.
Internet Explorer (ver 8.xxx or newer):
Windows: Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced
- Mark at least next boxes:
- [v] Use TLS 1.0
- If there is other TLS options you need to mark these too.
3. Enrolling to a course
Most of the courses in Moodle require an enrolment key. You get the key from your teahcer and you need the key only on the first time when you enter the course pages. Usually, the key is given in the first lecture or sent to you via email.
The enrolment key is almost like a course password. The purpose of the key is to prevent unauthorized people to access the course pages.
4. How to change / reset password for external account (if login doesn't work)
If you have external account (this is not UTU account for students and staff of University of Turku) then keep reading. Normally account is named like "local_", and then tree letters of your fistname and tree letters from your lastname. If you are not able to log on then follow next:
1) Go page https://moodle.utu.fi/login/forgot_password.php?lang=en
2) Type either your username OR email address, do not type both.
3) You will be able to reset your password by following instructions you will get in email.
4) Never tell anyone your password (even helpdesk).
5. Having trouble logging in with an external account?
These instructions are for external accounts (not for University of Turku / utu-account). External account is an account which username starts with "local_".
- Use "External / Norssi account" login on top right corner of front page of Moodle https://moodle.utu.fi.
- Copy your username and password with mouse from account email to username and password fields, so there will be no typing mistakes.
- Moodle works best with Firefox or Internet Explorer (IE) browser.
- You can try to reset your password. See instructions here.
- If these tips doesn't help you to log in Moodle, please contact email@example.com and tell what happens when you try to log in. Do you get some error message?